Friday seemed to be a rough day for eating and drinking for me. I was having one of those days where you know you need to eat good , yet nothing sounds good and the thought of eating makes you sick. So Friday was not a good day for proper "Nutrition." Friday evening we had a super fun street party with the coolest neighbors ever. However, their was no pasta or high carb foods except chips and cookies. I did my best at carb loading that evening.
My alarm went of at 3:50! I had 40 minutes to be at Josh and Katie's house to carpool out to Mapleton. I ate my pre-race bagel, got my Crystal Light Energy Drink ready to drink, and my banana.
We got to Mapleton with plenty of time for race packet pickup and to get on the buses to head up the canyon. We got to the bus drop off point and headed our almost 1 mile hike up to the starting line. Not sure what the problem is with this race, but it starts VERY late every year. Finally about 40 minutes late the gun went off.
I thought I was at a good point to start the race. However, I had numerous SLOW runners who think they can start closer to the front that I had to pass. After I had a good pace going I had that sudden urge to use the restroom. I knew I would not be able to run 13 miles having to go to the restroom, so the first set of Honey Buckets (Outhouses) I saw I decided to stop. Probalby was a good idea however, now I am behind all the slower runners again that I had to already pass. Mile 2 ended up being a race to pass. The first 3 miles like it always is, is not so much fun. (It takes me at least 3 miles to work out all the shin/calf pain.) Not sure why but when my right foot hit the road, I would get a shooting nerve pain in the bottom of my foot. I think the seam of my sock was irritating my foot. Well Buck up Ray and keep running. Sure enough around mile 3 I get warmed up and am ready to run.
About mile 4 or 5 I spot Heidi and Josh (My Bro-in-Law and Sis-in-Law) Yeah I had caught back up to them. Now I have someone to run with to push me. I am running in this beautiful canyon with Heidi and I look down at my watch. 44 minutes into the run. I think I am running to slow to hit mile 6.5 at 60 minutes. My goal is to get to the finish line before 2 hours. I tell Heidi I need to pick up the pace and am off.
It is getting really HOT! I am getting pretty tired and my Right Quad is hurting a lot. Around mile 8 I see Katie. I catch myself up to her. We run together for the next little while. I have my moments that having her there pushes me and I push her.
After we get out of the canyon I am getting pretty thirsty and tired. I stop at every water station to get a drink and dump a cup of water on me. I think I am going to barely make it to the finish line under 2 hours if I can keep my pace up above 9:30. But, it is so hard! I am so tired and thirsty. When we come around to the park my body was done. I saw the finish line it was so close to 2:00:00. My body was not going to let me go any faster! I cross the finish line at 2:00:01!
I know I should be excited and proud. But I am not. It was kinda a disappointment to push so hard and barely miss my goal. Maybe next time. Not sure when I am going to want to run another one again.
Pace Breakdown
Mile 1- 9:38 (Honey Bucket Break)
Mile 2-9:09
Mile 3-9:30 (Finally warmed up)
Mile 4-8:44
Mile 5-8:45
Mile 6-8:31
Mile 7-8:59
Mile 8-9:44 (Getting tired, took a GU)
Mile 9-9:10
Mile 10-9:47 (Getting Hot, Quad hurts)
Mile 11-9:28
Mile 12-9:46
Mile 13-8:47
Notes for nest year: Must bring own water belt or handheld!
Go to Olive Garden night before race!
Don't put sock on with crooked seam!
Start closer to starting line!
Monday, August 23, 2010
Hobble Creek Half
Posted by Custer Family at 11:18 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Yea that is such a good time I think you should be so proud of yourself!!! I just signed up for another one in Nov in St. George I am really hoping to beat my time!!!
Your out of control...you can't be stopped, can you? Congrats!! What an accomplishment
Post a Comment